Breadfruit, a staple food in Oceania, is one peculiar yet healthy food item that has been gaining popularity as of late. This fruit gets its name from its unique properties. Specifically, if you peel a breadfruit, you can fry it in oil (such as olive oil), mainly because the fruit is composed of mostly starch. The taste is somewhat identical to freshly baked bread when prepared so that’s where breadfruit gets its name.
Nonetheless, there aren’t really a lot of breadfruit recipes on the Internet, so many people are a bit confused as to how they can try and prepare breadfruit in tasty and creative ways. With that said, here are five quick and easy breadfruit recipes to try on any given day to try with ingredients such as chicken, cheese, peanut butter, watermelon rind, bananas, salad, and much more:
5. Breadfruit Cou-Cou
This simple and exotic breadfruit recipe is derived from the Barbados Islands. This recipe complements saucy meat dishes particularly well and it is so tasty. The recipe is as follows:
- 1 large breadfruit, peeled and cut into 8 pieces
- 1 onion
- ½ stick of butter
- 1 tbsp of salt
- Peel the breadfruit and cut into 8 even segments.
- Place the breadfruit in a pot and fill it with water. Proceed to add salt, onion, and thyme.
- Boil on medium heat for 30 minutes until the breadfruit is soft.
- Draw a cup of the water to save and take out the thyme sprigs. Then, place the breadfruit into a large mixing bowl and mash it thoroughly.
- Add butter, salt, and pepper. Also, pour in the reserved cup of water until the product is creamy and consistent.
- Remove the thyme leaves from the spring and add it in as well.
- Serve with a dab of butter on top and enjoy!
4. Kadachakka Thoran
This recipe is a form of curry made from breadfruit and other ingredients but can be used as a tasty side dish. The recipe is as follows:
- 1 breadfruit
- 2 shallots
- 2 tsp of coriander powder
- 1 tsp of chili powder
- ½ tsp of turmeric powder
- 1/3 cup of coconut
- ½ tsp of mustard
- Curry leaves
- Dry red chilies
- Peel the breadfruit and add it to a pot of water. Proceed to add the shallots in as well with any other vegetables of your choice.
- The cooking time for this recipe varies. Make sure to cook the breadfruit until it is soft and course. Do not overcook.
- Once this is done, add coriander powder, chili powder, and turmeric powder and then let it simmer.
- Crush the coconut product so that it is coarse enough to be placed inside of the mixture. Then, add it to the pot.
- Add salt and stir firmly and thoroughly.
- In a separate pan, heat oil and add mustard, curry leaves, and dry red chilies. When they are fried, place them in the pot.
- Serve with rice and enjoy!
3. Breadfruit Curry (Del Maluwa)
Here is another curry recipe that packs a punch. This recipe is vegetarian-friendly and tastes extraordinarily great. This dish was made popular in Sri Lanka and here it is for you to write down and create. The recipe is as follows:
- 1 Breadfruit (cut into pieces)
- 1 Onion (sliced)
- 3 cloves of garlic (sliced)
- 2 Green chilies (chopped)
- 5 Curry leaves
- 2 Piece pandan leaves (Rampa)
- 3/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 3/4 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- 2 dried chili (break into pieces)
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 1 cup of water
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp of oil
- Peel and place the breadfruit in a large saucepan and add coconut milk and water.
- Then, add turmeric powder, chili powder, curry powder, the cinnamon stick, the onion, two garlic cloves, curry leaves, salt, and green chili. Mix all of these ingredients well.
- Cook for about 20 minutes on medium heat and stir occasionally. Put the breadfruit into another bowl and place it aside for later. Heat some oil in a saucepan and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, the onion, the garlic, three curry leaves, pandan leaves and dried chili pieces.
- Fry the ingredients until the onions are light brown for about 3-5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add the breadfruit to the saucepan and coconut to simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the gravy thickens. Add salt to taste, and enjoy!
2. Breadfruit Summer Rolls
Here is an exotic breadfruit recipe that is fun to make and delicious to eat. Breadfruit summer rolls are simply amazing and can be served on holidays or Sunday dinners. The recipe is as follows:
- 2 cups of breadfruit cut julienne
- 1 cup cooked crabmeat or twelve medium shrimp
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup mint leaves
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1/4 cup green onion strips
- 12 rice paper rounds
- 1 1/2 cups sake lime vinaigrette
- 3/4 chopped, roasted macadamia nuts
- 3/4 cup sake
- 2 chopped Hawaiian chili peppers
- 1/2 tsp chopped garlic
- 1/2 tsp chopped ginger root
- 1/4 cup local white honey
- The juice of two limes
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- Combine sake with one-half with peppers, garlic and ginger. Blend with honey, lime juice, oils.
- Soak each sheet with rice paper. Brush lightly with the sake dressing afterward. Place 5 strips of breadfruit on each round followed by the crab meat or shrimps. Sprinkle the carrots and garnish with the mint, cilantro, and shredded green onion. Lastly, sprinkle the macadamia nuts.
- Roll each roll like a burrito and place on a sheet pan. Repeat until your desired number of rolls is complete and place them in the oven to bake until each roll is golden brown and fluffy. Enjoy!
1. Breadfruit Donuts
Donuts, please! Everyone loves donuts, but who knew that donuts such as these even existed? Well, now you know and it’s time to make some breadfruit donuts. Here is the recipe:
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup breadfruit
- 2 tbsp of shortening
- 1 cup of flour
- 1/4 tsp of nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 3 tsp of baking powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Combine the beaten egg, breadfruit, and shortening and mix well. Add the dry ingredients, but make sure they are sifted.
- Stir in the egg mixture.
- Drop spoonfuls of preheated fat (370 F) and fry until golden brown.
- Drain the donuts and sprinkle sugar or your own toppings. Enjoy!